Saturday, November 7, 2009

One Angry Sky


I was returning from a photographic outing to the beach late Friday when I spotted the above scene. The skies were quickly turning angry as a storm cell approach the coast of Washington. I was intrigued by light; the distant hills appeared nearly black despite light filtering through the advancing clouds.

Given the conditions, I knew that the scene would not last long so my challenge was to find a vantage point free of obstructions. Within several seconds of making the image, the sky was lit by lighting which was immediately followed by a deafening clap of thunder. Within thirty seconds of the thunder, the entire coast line was shrouded by the clouds.


It suddenly occurred to me how close I was to the storm and at the moment, I was the highest point in the immediate vicinity. This is clearly something to avoid being during a thunder storm!

2 comments:

monstev said...

Glad you made it out of there to share the image and your story. The clouds do look ominous. The power and beauty of nature in storms can sure provide photographers with some great opportunities.

Steve Skinner said...

Thanks Monte, wild weather can make for some very intresting photos with its changing lights.