Thursday, January 3, 2008

It Is Done!

As I reflect upon today, I recall the words of Winston Churchill who said, “Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning”.

Today I submitted my letter of resignation which is the last step of the retirement process. In just three weeks, I will join the ranks of foresters who previously work for the Oregon Department of Forestry. For me, it is clearly the end of the beginning of the second half of my life. In just a few weeks, I will begin the third half of life, which I have anticipated for so long!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Congratulations to you, Steve! I'm looking forward to reading about your retirement adventures! As a side note, forester was one of the careers that I considered. I dreamed of working in one or more national parks. :-) Somehow, I became a software developer because, well, I liked that too!

Ptelea said...

I also wish you congratulations. I work in an office with quite a few people getting ready for retirement. I am sure it is exciting to look forward, so soon, to having time to indulge in your other interests. As a biologist in federal service, I would guess you have a lot of stories to tell of your work over the years. I have several years before I can afford to retire but I look forward to hearing what you are up to.