Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Those, Lazy, Hazy, Crazy, Days of Summer Are Here – Part 2

As the “dog days of summer" approach, I was pondering last week’s post and fondly remembered several other activities that once defined summer. As a boy growing up on the east coast in the 1950 and 1960s, no summer would be complete without the following activities:

Mowing the front lawn with the dog, circa 1955


Enjoying a weekend barbecue, circa 1956

Now as an adult, I have no lawn to mow and we have maybe 5 barbecues a year. Honestly, I don't miss mowing the lawn but maybe we should double the number of barbecues. Could that be a reason to buy the four burner gas grill sold at Costco?

1 comment:

Paul said...

Here! Here! I wouldn't miss mowing the lawn, either! As for the barbeques. Yeah! I try to cook out almost every weekend during the summer. It never works out that way, but I try! :-)