Monday, August 25, 2008

Those Summer Rains


August is typically one of the driest months on the north Oregon coast but last Wednesday and Thursday were among the wettest we have seen in many weeks. The forecast called for an unseasonably strong weather system that was to produce significant wetting rains throughout much of the state. I am still working on the front porch so the weather made outside work, especially painting, out of the question.

I have been looking for an excuse to make a trip to Longview, WA to return some building materials and to visit a friend so the storm made the decision for me. As I prepared to leave, I decided to bring along my camera, not that I honestly expected to see much on such a miserable day. I decided however to heed Paul Lester’s advice and to follow the go!

As I left the house, the skies were gray and a light rain was falling; surely the camera would never leave the bag on this trip. I was only several miles east of town when I decided to take a detour and check out a location that overlooks the Columbia River and the Lewis and Clark National Wildlife Refuse. Immediately, I realized that my detour would be worth the time invested and Paul was right! The photo shows what the river had to offer during the rapidly changing storm light. During my hour spent photographing I got rained on several times, but it was well worth the effort!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Alright, Steve! Now you'll be a bad weather chaser, too! :-)