Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pre-global Warming

As I was sorting through some old family photos, I found several that were taken during a visit to Santa’s Village , which is located in Jefferson, New Hampshire. The photos reminded me that as a child, life was meant to be enjoyed and you seldom had much to worry about. Certainly, in the late 1950s few if any had heard of climate change; in New England, summers were hot and winters were bone chilling cold.

The photos are not dated but my best guess is that they were taken during the summer of 1959 or 1960. I still have recollections of the igloo that my brother and I are posed before. It was made of concrete and it was dark and cold inside. Perhaps the folks at Santa’s Village were prepared for climate change even before they knew what it was!


My brother and I "hanging "at the North Pole



The concrete snowman




No comments: