Today is the last official day for the school year here in Astoria; it will likely be a noisy ride on the school bus this afternoon! I still remember fondly the summers of my youth; I always had a near endless list of activities to carry me through the months of June, July and August. If memory serves me, the list included lots of the following:
- Early morning swimming lessons in the ice cold waters of the town pool
- Afternoons spent in the same icy waters swimming
- Bike rides into town to buy popsicles
- Pitching a tent and camping out in the back yard while the mosquitoes feasted on us
- Waiting until the last minute to begin the summer reading
- Attending Boy Scout camp in August on Cape Cod
So what’s on tap for me this summer? At the moment, much of the summer will be absorbed painting the bed room, living room, and the dining room. Boy, how I miss the summers of old!!